Monday 8 October 2012

Loss of Power was finally noticed by the P&I

It was years ago that I was a 3rd mate and we experienced blackout at the approach. I was the OOW on the bridge with Master present and a rating at the wheel. It happened while ship was approaching Santos PS, we were changing over from shaft generator to diesel generators. Classics of the case.

From that moment I hated shaft generators. Today, when a shaft power take off is a must, moreover, when it is exacerbated by the compliance with the LS fuels changing over requirements, the loss of power cases began appearing in the lame-light of the maritime managerial hangout.

UK P&I conducted a study and presented a worthy report with statistics of 700-some cases. Still report implies that the actual figures may be higher as many chief engineers allegedly do not report (admit) the near-misses at the approach.

I recommend reading the full report quoted right below.


Blog's Most Popular Posts last week